Nesco has gotten back into the roaster game! Make sure to read all the details – this roaster is very different from their last machine.
This is a very cool entry-level roaster. A device that roasts tasty coffee for under $100?!?!?
Very basic – it does what it states and makes tasty coffee but has some limitations compared to more advanced home roasters.
This unit will not roast super dark! To keep it automated and simple, it will roast on the verge of 2nd crack to just a pop or two into 2nd crack, but that’s as dark as it gets. To be honest, this should be dark enough for most consumers but this unit will not produce a French Roast.
This roaster has a 4 oz capacity with approx 20 minute roast time, 18 for roasting, 2 for cooling. It has medium and dark settings and a glass top with (limited) visibility to watch the coffee beans roasting. It does not have any adjustable settings, only “Medium” and “Dark,” but you can choose to end the roast early with the “Cool Down” button.
We roasted a bunch of 3½-4 ounce batches of various coffees and found them all tasty. We did get some visible smoke from 4 ounces of Natural Yemen Mocha, but most batches were handled adequately by our vent hood. The dark setting worked great as it roasted up to the edge of second crack, which is just starting to smoke. The coffee had spots of oil on some beans the next day. The medium setting is a little cooler temp with the same time setting, no oil on the beans and less likely to smoke. We found all roasts tasty.
The chaff collects in the top and 4 ounces of a high chaff coffee is the max that should be used. Note: Some roasted beans may collect in the chaff collector. Once cooled you can just pick them out and use with the rest of the beans from the roast chamber.
All in all, we think it’s a great starter roaster at an excellent price point – a perfect gift for the coffee lover on your list!
Capacity: 4 Ounce
Heat Settings: Medium or Dark (not super dark)
Fan Settings: None, consistent fan speed.
Roast Times: 20 minutes (including cool)
Venting: Required – will produce some smoke, especially with higher chaff coffees or darker roasts
Ease of use: Very easy
Batch Roasting: No
- Easy to use – fully automated
- Excellent value for those new to Home Coffee Roasting
- Compact design roasts up to a quarter pound of raw coffee beans
- Pre-programmed Medium & Dark roast options
- Convenient chaff collector with safety handle & glass viewing window
- One year warranty from major American appliance manufacturer
Basic Use Instructions:
- Weigh out 4 oz. of green coffee beans.
- Pour the green coffee beans into the roasting chamber. NEVER fill the roasting chamber with more than 4 oz. of beans.
- Place the cover/chaff collector on the roaster. Ensure cover is secure and seated correctly. CAUTION: Never remove cover while roasting is in progress.
- Plug the roaster into a standard polarized 120-volt outlet.
- Roast option and cool down indicator lights will illuminate blue and flash.
- Select and press one of the roast settings: MEDIUM or DARK. The setting button will illuminate red and the roasting process will begin. The default time setting for each roast selection is approximately 20 minutes.
- As the roasting cycle continues, you will notice the beans increase in size and gradually change from a pale green to a chocolate brown color. You will also notice the odor of the beans as they begin to roast.
- When your roaster has completed the roasting cycle, the selected setting button will change illumination from red to blue. The appliance will begin a 2- minute cool down cycle. When the cool-down cycle has completed, all selection buttons will illuminate blue and flash. The appliance will then turn off automatically.
Check out our home roasting resources for more tips and tricks!
Nesco is the manufacture/distributor of the Nesco CR-04-13 home coffee roaster and they provide a 1 year warranty. Call them directly 1-800-288-4545 if you are having difficulty with the roaster. Also, be sure to let us know – we will be happy to help!