A very fun, quick and easy to use air (fluid bed) coffee roaster!
The Fresh Roast SR800 is the larger brother to the SR540 home coffee roaster. Following the new generation of Fresh Roast home coffee roasters, it is similar in operation and looks to the 540, but with a higher capacity (6-8 ounce), a stronger fan, and a taller roast chamber.
Roast capacity is 6-8 ounces, nearly double the SR540. Please Note: for high chaff or natural coffees, batch size MUST be reduced to 6 ounces or less.
This new Fresh Roast model has an improved control panel. There are now nine levels of heat adjustment compared to the previously limited Low, Medium, and High settings. The fan also has nine levels of adjustment. All adjustments are made by pressing the knob and turning to change heat, fan, and time settings. It also features a new real-time air temperature measurement. A quick turn of the knob to the right will display current temperature.
PLEASE NOTE: Chaff basket and top lid from earlier SR models will not fit on the new SR800. The roasting chamber is a much larger diameter.
Want to take your roasting with the Fresh Roast SR800 to the next level? Be sure to check out the new accessory:
Fresh Roast SR 800 Roast Chamber Extension Tube
This is a must have for those that crave control over the roast (or want a slightly larger batch size) . Does not come with the roaster and must be purchased in addition.
First slot on LCD: Fan Speed – settable from 1-9. 1=low 9=high.
Second slot on LCD: Heat/Power – settable from 1-9. 1=low 9=high.
Third and fourth slots on LCD: Time – settable from 0.1 – 20 minutes. During cool mode it will display C.3, C.2, or C.1 as it moves through the cooling process.
The control panel has been significantly simplified. To change a field on the LCD display: PRESS the turn knob, display will then flash the setting you have selected. PRESS again to select the next setting. TURN the knob to adjust the setting. All in real time. Beyond that, you have just two buttons – On/Off and Run/Cool.
Capacity: 6-8 Ounce
Heat Settings: Variable, 1-9
Fan Settings: Variable, 1-9
Roast Times: 10-20 minutes (including cool)
Venting: Required – will produce some smoke, especially with higher chaff coffees or darker roasts
Ease of use: Very easy
Batch Roasting: No
- Bigger roast chamber and more powerful fan than other Fresh Roast SR models
- Easy and fun; glass chamber ensures that coffee beans are highly visible throughout the roast
- Quickest of all home coffee roasters
- Simple design, yet highly adjustable – great for both newbies and master roasters
- New improved control panel – more customizable settings
- All settings adjustable during roast
- Convenient chaff collector is very easy to clean
- One year warranty; manufacturer is very helpful
General Use Instructions for SR540 (all apply to SR800 too)
Basic Use Instructions:
- Weigh out 6-8 ounces of green coffee beans. With all SR machines, results are fairly sensitive to batch size, so dependent on voltage, ambient temperature, coffee type, and your roast preferences, you may want to decrease or increase your batch size. A general rule is to start with 8 ounces for standard washed coffees, 6 ounces for naturals (or less for very high chaff beans).
- Plug the machine into a standard polarized 120-volt outlet. Be sure that no other appliances are drawing from the same circuit – this will decrease the power available to your roaster. With higher draw, this machine is even more sensitive to voltage fluctuations than previous SR models.
- Pour beans into the roast chamber, then set the roast chamber into the machine, then set the chaff collector on top of the roast chamber. Use care to ensure that pieces are fitting together properly. This machine is top-heavy and users sometimes drop and break roast chambers and chaff collectors (if you do, don’t worry – we have replacement parts!).
- Set Fan speed to “9” and Power to “5”. Set timer for 15 minutes. Total roast time is generally between 8 and 18 minutes depending on settings.
- Press the Run button. As the machine warms up, coffee beans will gradually begin to move more and more as they lose moisture and weight.
- As soon as you start seeing good movement (usually 2-4 minutes), increase Power to “9”.
- You should now be on “Fan:9 / Power:9”. This setting will get you close to 1st crack, but too much movement prevents adequate heat build-up, so it is necessary to gradually reduce fan speed to push the roast up through 1st then 2nd crack. It is important to keep some movement; try turning Fan speed down 1 notch, and if beans are still rapidly flying around, turn it down 1 more. If beans stop moving, turn it back up and wait approximately 1 minute before turning it down again.
- Typically, the roast will progress like this: At Fan “8” beans should start 1st crack (depending on variables such as ambient temperature, voltage, etc), and as you gradually decrease speed after each minute (approx), at Fan “6” you will be approaching a medium roast, and at Fan “5” you will hear 2nd crack and begin moving into dark roast.
- If you need more time, you can always adjust the Timer upward. Be sure to do this before the machine automatically enters Cool Mode.
- Pay very close attention as your beans move into medium and dark roast levels. Hit Cool button when you reach your desired roast, and turn Fan back to “9” – remember to turn the fan speed back up to maximum to ensure that beans cool quickly and do not continue roasting!
1 year warranty on the base, 6 months on roast chamber and chaff collector, directly from FreshRoast. After 30 days from purchase customers are responsible for shipping the roaster into the repair center, and they will fix and return it. Out of warranty repairs are similar but do have a cost. FreshRoast is more than fair for any in or out of warranty items. And also let us know if you are having any issues – we are happy to help!
Please visit the Home Roasting Supplies website for more warranty information: https://homeroastingsupplies.com/warranty
Support Email: [email protected]
GUIDES TO USING THE FRESH ROAST SR800 HOME COFFEE ROASTER:
- Instructions on coffee roasting with the Fresh Roast SR540.
- Video on coffee roasting tips using the Fresh Roast SR540
- Download Product Manual (SR540)
- General guidelines and tips for home coffee roasting
Check out our home roasting resources for more tips and tricks!