A very fun, quick and easy to use air (fluid bed) coffee roaster!
The Fresh Roast SR 800 is the larger brother to the SR 540. Following the new generation of FreshRoast home coffee roasters, it is similar in operation and looks to the 540. It has a higher capacity (6-8 ounce), a stronger fan and a taller roast chamber.
These new generation machines have an improved control board. All adjustments are made with pushing the knob and turning to adjust the heat, fan, and time. They feature a real-time air temperature read out. A quick turn of the knob to the right will display current temperature.
The heat and fan now have 9 levels of adjustment, really letting roasters play and fine tune their roasts.
The chaff basket and roast chamber from earlier SR roasters will not fit on the new SR800 or SR540.
With a nice Washed Processed lower chaff coffee, this machine can roast up to 8 ounces. With a high chaff and/or natural processed coffee, the batch size MUST be reduced to 6 ounces or less unless using a different chaff solution than the included one with the machine.
The first slot on the LCD is fan Speed – settable from 1-9. 1=low 9=high.
The second slot on the LCD is heat – settable from 1-9. 1=low 9=high.
The third and fourth slot on the LCD is time – settable from 0.1 – 20 minutes. During cool mode it will display C.3, C.2, or C.1 as it moves through the cooling process.
The control panel has been significantly simplified. To change a field on the LCD: PRESS the turn knob, it will then flash the field you have selected on the LCD. TURN the knob to adjust the setting. All is real time. Beyond that, you have two buttons on the roaster; one for on/off and one for roast/cool.
- Put 6 ounces of green coffee into the roast chamber, set the roast chamber on the machine, set the chaff collector onto the roast chamber.
- Set fan speed to “9” and Power to “5”. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Total roast time should come in between 6 and 15 minutes dependent on settings.
- Hit the Run button.
- As soon as you start seeing good movement, move the Power to “9”. Usually 1-3 minutes into the roast.
- You should now be on “Fan: 9 / Power: 9”. This setting will get you close to 1st crack but from here you will have to start reducing fan speed to push the roaster up through 1st then 2nd When to turn down the fan is based on movement. Try turning it down 1 notch, if the beans stop moving turn it back up and wait approximately 1 minute before turning it back down.
- Assuming you have good movement, turn the fan down to “8” This should get you into 1st crack depending on variables such as ambient temperature, voltage, etc.
- Once the coffee moves a little better with fan “8” move to fan “7”
- If needed, repeat the last couple of steps down to fan “6”, then fan “5”.
- Hit cool button whenever you hit your desired roast, make sure to turn the fan speed back to “9”.
2 year warranty on the base, 6 months on the roast chamber and chaff collector. The warranty is direct through FreshRoast. After 30 days of purchase customers are responsible for shipping the roaster into their repair center. They will fix and return it. Out of warranty is similar for repairs but does have a cost to it. FreshRoast is more than fair for any in or out of warranty items. Always let us know if you are having issues as well, we are happy to help!