We also have a couple open box and/or scratched units we can sell at a discount – just email/call if you want information.
Raters consider the Gene Café Roaster the most powerful home coffee roaster available, and so do we. Both very flexible and remarkably consistent, the Gene Café is capable of roasting very small sample batches, and up to a half pound. Like every home roaster, it takes a little trial and error to figure out the needs of each unique coffee – but once you have found your perfect roast profile, it is remarkably consistent and roasts beans more evenly than any other model. Unlike other home roasters, it is powerful enough to roast numerous batches each day, without lengthy cooling periods (some cooling time is still necessary).
A unique hybrid between fluid bed (air) and drum roasters, it has a patented “Vortex Mixing” method that ensures the most evenly roasted beans. An innovative cooling system brings the temperature of the machine down rapidly, allowing users to roast many batches in a day. Combined with easy operation, this makes it an excellent choice for the home coffee roaster who likes to frequently gift or sell fresh-roasted coffee to friends and neighbors.
Many master roasters also appreciate the effective and easily-cleaned chaff capturing device, and the option to connect a 3” metal dryer hose to vent out a window.
Please Note: Gene Cafe has added a NEW safety feature to this model. It will beep at you a couple of times during the roast and you must press the Blue Button (on/off) to indicate that you are still watching the machine, otherwise it will automatically enter cool mode. There is no way to over-ride this safety feature; it is very important to avoid fire hazards.
Capacity: 2-8 Ounce
Heat Settings: Set specific temperature
Fan Settings: None – Drum Roaster
Roast Times: 15-22 minutes (excluding cool)
Venting: Required – option to attach 3″ metal dryer hose for venting outside
Ease of use: Easy
Batch Roasting: Yes
- Specially-designed Roasting Chamber combines the best aspects of fluid bed and drum roasters
- Indirect heating system and patented Vortex Mixing method for even roasting, no scorching
- Large capacity chamber allows batches as large as 8 ounces and as small as 1.8 ounces
- Removable Roasting Chamber for easy filling, emptying, and convenient cleaning.
- Precise temperature control and timer for fine-tuning each roast
- Quick cooling system allows for multiple batches
- Efficient collection of coffee bean chaff
- Noise reducing design for quiet operation (65 db)
- Temperature overheat safety switch
- One year warranty
Basic Use Instructions
- Start by pressing the release switch to remove the Roasting Chamber. It may be placed into the provided stand so that it stays upright and is easier to fill.
- Pour approx 2-8 ounces of coffee into the chamber, or just fill to the line on the chamber. For high chaff dry processed (natural) coffees, be sure that you do not overfill above the line.
- Plug into a standard polarized 120-volt outlet, but be sure that it is on a circuit unused by other appliances, as it is a very high draw device.
- For most coffees, we recommend setting the temperature control to 440-470F and the timer to 15-22 minutes. Because every coffee is different, some trial and error will be necessary to find the perfect settings, but we have found that these generally tend to work well.
- Hit the Start/Stop button, then watch closely as the roast develops. Like all of our home roasting equipment, the last few minutes of the roast progress very quickly. It is very important to watch carefully, then press the Start/Stop button when the beans reach your desired roast level.
- After the cool cycle is completed, remove the chaff collector on the left side, unscrew the circular cap, lower back, and dump all chaff out. If you see chaff getting stuck between the screens, use a screwdriver to disassemble the collector and remove chaff build-up it before it begins to block exhaust flow.
- You may roast multiple batches each day. However, allowing the machine to cool down for about 40 minutes between batches is recommended.
OPTIONAL: You may attach a 3” metal dryer hose to the exhaust opening and vent it out a window.
PLEASE NOTE: The Gene Café demands close attention, as the roast will progress slowly at first but then very rapidly toward the end.
One year manufacturer’s warranty. Contact the official USA distributor Speedwell Coffee at 1-508-503-1699, email at [email protected], or visit their website http://www.genecafeusa.com. Also, be sure to let us know – we are happy to help!
Guides to Using the Gene Cafe Roaster
- Instructions on coffee roasting with the Gene Café Home Coffee Roaster
- Download Product Manual
- General guidelines and tips for home coffee roasting
Check out our home roasting resources for more tips and tricks!